If I could give you one gift it would be to see yourself through my eyes and then you would see how special you really are.

Sunday 16 June 2013

Sibling Love

This morning being Fathers Day means that Hubbie is still in bed, child 2 and 3 are in the living room and child 1 has yet to drag herself out of her pit.

Enjoying those first few moments of peace with that first cup of tea of the day is a luxury that rarely happens in a busy household like ours. Whilest the kettle boils I usually nip out to let the chickens out and feed them and the rabbit, this morning as I ambled back up the path, the sun attempting to push its rays through the thick cloud cover, I detour into the vegetable patch to check out the raspberry canes, it won't be long and I'll be picking the raspberries that have ripened over night.

I sit with my steaming cup, planning our roast beef lunch when child 1 comes in. She is asking about a friend an amazing lady who has fostered a few older children, one of whom has recently had a baby. Child 1 wanted to know how old the girl was, was she married or living with someone. I am guessing that the girl is late teens and I know that she is no longer with the father of her baby.  Child 1 sighed "so young, why?"  I explained how children removed from birth parents and placed in the care system often go on to have babies when they are young and often not in a stable relationship with the father, they are usually looking for the unconditional love that they should have received from when they were born. (A 2008 study showed that girls in care were 2.5 times more likely to become pregnant in their teens.) We, I went on would hopefully break that cycle for our number 4.

Child 1 wept, "I don't want my brother or sister to be hurt but, they have been haven't they?"

No comments:

Post a Comment