If I could give you one gift it would be to see yourself through my eyes and then you would see how special you really are.

Monday 22 July 2013

Take a banana

It's been so hot and the children's staple diet seems to be barbecue, ice cream and ice lollies with an occasional bit of salad. They are certainly not eating their 5 a day fruit and veg.  The fruit that I put in the lunch boxes returns to me bruised and mushy so time to improvise.

The leftover bananas of the week have now got that brown freckly skin, which means that only Dad will eat them, it's too hot to bake banana bread and anyway I'm out of eggs. We've lost a couple of chickens to the heat and the remaining one is refusing to lay - can't really blame her.

Back to the bananas, this has to be one of the easiest and bestest banana recipe I have ever made. It's loosely based on an ice cream I ate 8 years ago when in Disney Florida. Take what ever bananas you have, very ripe are the best but those just turned yellow ones will do in an emergency. Slice them how you like or leave them whole. Place them on a greaseproof paper on a baking tray then place them in the freezer. Today I covered them in melted chocolate before freezing I have also coated them in melted chocolate and nuts, how about popping candy, Waitrose sells chocolate covered popping candy. Of course hundreds and thousands or chocolate strands would be great too.

I should have taken a picture before the freezing because my family of locusts devoured them the minute they saw me take them out of the freezer!



No comments:

Post a Comment