If I could give you one gift it would be to see yourself through my eyes and then you would see how special you really are.

Saturday 31 August 2013

Our households version of a s'more

 Today my brother and his two children where visiting again before the summer holidays finish and the school term begins. They along with my parents and my Aunt came over for a barbecue. the requests were for sausages, burgers, chicken satay, no potato salad, pavlova and s'mores. My brother reckons that I put him off potato salad for life because I made him eat it every day whilst he lived with me for a few weeks after leaving university, so I made him some crispy, crunchy roast potatoes instead.

Child 2 begged to have s'mores. We had these at an American friends a few years back and the children loved them. She probably had the correct ingredients but I've adapted the recipe, if you could call it that, to ingredients easily found at any supermarket. You need chocolate digestive biscuits, marshmallows, foil and a cooling barbecue.

Place 2 biscuits next to each other on a square of foil place 1 or 2 marshmallows on top of one of the biscuits then put the other biscuit on top, chocolate side down. Wrap up tight in the foil and carefully place on the barbecue. Leave for a few minutes then unwrap and eat ( carefully because they are hot and very very sticky)

The children are able to assemble their own s'mores and with a little supervision they can place their little silver packages on the barbecue, after a quick bounce on the trampoline, they return for their hot parcels and very carefully open them up. Giggling and talking ten to the dozen, all excited about what they would find. And yes inside their parcels were melted gooey biscuits, oozing pink and white melting gloop that stuck to the foil in strings. The children savoured them only because they can't wolf them down and came into the conservatory where we sat to show us their sticky hands and mouths before imploring with those beseeching eyes for just one more!


No comments:

Post a Comment